Should Teachers Be Armed

Back to Article
Back to Article

Should Teachers Be Armed

This sign is up in front of the old preschool by Kittitas Elementary School. After the Enactment of the Gun-Free School act in 1994, many schools that followed and supported the law put up these gun-free signs.

April Dahlen, Staff Writer

Due to recent events involving more and more school shootings, there is a question that keeps coming up: should teachers be allowed to carry guns?

Many people believe that teachers being allowed to carry guns in school adds more fuel to the fire of unsafe schools. What if it went off during class? What if the teacher were to get mad and pull their gun on a student? What if they shoot an innocent instead of a hostile shooter due to poor aim?

All of these are valid concerns. However, if a teacher had the extensive training, was trusted by the school, and were proven to be mentally healthy enough to not knowingly harm innocents, they should be allowed to carry a firearm.

Guns being allowed in school in general is a rather difficult thought for some.

“As long as the teachers were trained on the proper safety of firearms,” English teacher Calah Kulm said, “I think it could help to keep students more safe. And safety must be a priority.”

Not just anyone should be allowed to bring a gun onto a school campus–only those who are well trained, trusted, and have them for protection reason.

President Donald trump has already suggested giving teachers both guns and a little paycheck bonus for those willing to carry guns in schools.

“You give them a little bit of a bonus, so practically for free, you have now made the school into a hardened target.” Trump said.

Though the idea of arming teachers can be dangerously risky, if planned out properly, many student lives may be saved.

According to the Backyard Brains website, the average reaction time for humans is around 0.25 seconds. In 0.25 seconds of a shooting, an armed teacher will already be reaching for their gun to protect their students from the threat. For armed police to get to these schools to take care of the situation it can take minutes, when it could be taken care of in seconds if teachers were armed.

“I would feel safe if trained teachers carried guns,” junior Sienna Jaramillo said.

If trained teachers were allowed to carry guns in school, a school shooting could end in seconds, saving more lives.

Teachers should not be forced to carry guns, but the ones that feel the need to protect their students from these horrifying catastrophes should be allowed to go through the training to do so.