Should Students be Able to Grade Teachers

Social studies teacher Joe Mohn is busy grading students’ homework in class. “I do think that students should be able to give productive feedback on their teachers because it can help the teachers become better,” Mohn said.

Summer Ledgard, Staff Reporter

Teachers grade students’ performances every day in order to show where they can make any improvements to succeed, but what if the teachers need to make improvements as well? Whether or not students should be able to grade their teachers is a question that has risen numerous times.

Many people do not agree that students should be able to evaluate teachers because it could be a way of harassing them.

“I think that students grading teachers could be a good idea, but some students might think of it as a way to be rude and say things just to try and hurt the teacher,” senior Piper Williams said.

Although some children may take advantage of that situation to harass a teacher they dislike, being able to grade their teacher might be a way to make the learning environment better.

“It’s okay for students to grade teachers because although we need to learn, teachers should also get feedback on how they teach and if they are doing it the right ways or not,” sophomore Ami Downey said. “Even though some kids might say disrespectful comments, I think that for the most part it will help teachers better understand how most kids like to be taught.”

Teachers are supposed to teach a curriculum in a way in which the students can understand and learn the most information possible. If the teacher isn’t using the most efficient way to teach, the children should be able to give feedback to them so they know how to make learning better for everyone.

“If a teacher isn’t using the best method to get the information across to everyone, being able to tell them what they need to do to improve can help every students learning,” sophomore Cody Van Dorn said.

Students should always be respectful to their teachers, but when a child dreads going to class because of a teacher, they should be able to use their voice and communicate respectfully to that teacher so they know how to fix things.

“I think that if a student doesn’t want to go to class because of a teacher, there is a big problem that the teacher should know about,” senior Natalie Waterman said.

Informing teachers on the students’ needs and having them teach in an effective way to help a variety of children and meet everyone’s needs would benefit the students in need. If a student is dealing with a problem that a teacher does not know about, grading the teacher might help in these types of situations by letting them know whats going on and how to work well with people with those issues.

“Students should absolutely be able to grade teachers,” freshman Alisha McIrvin said. “Grading teachers could be very helpful for kids that are struggling. It’s all about how different kids could help teachers do their jobs better for kids struggling. Kids should learn what ways work best for them.”