Soccer at KSS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Soccer at KSS

Spanish teacher Tony Lepe talks to junior Autumn Miller about a potential soccer team at Kittitas Secondary School. “Soccer is a really fun sport that I hope we can bring to KHS soon,” Miller said.

Important  changes are happening at Kittitas Secondary School: a new athletic director, a new principal, and soon a new superintendent, which means new sports and opportunities. One of these possibly being a soccer team.

After conducting a survey on “The Coyote Copy,” students’ opinions divided for people who support the idea and those who do not. According to the survey, 60% of voters support the idea of soccer as an offered sport.

Next year, soccer will most likely be offered as a fall sport for girls at Kittitas Secondary School and in future, it may become a possibility for boys, too. Next year it’s going to be offered for girls only because school needs equal involvement in sports of both boys and girls and the amount of boys involved now is a bit bigger than the amount of girls.

“Why the idea came up in our school is part of the sports experience and athletic experience at high school, is that you are supposed to have a balance of sports between both guys and girls,”  Kittitas Secondary School Athletic Director Austin Brothers said. “In our school, currently we have a few more guys participating in sports than girls, so to make that balanced a little more, we’re trying to make the girls soccer going.“

The obstacles that may come with having a soccer team at Kittitas Secondary School would not be too difficult to overcome.

“Not a lot of high schools our size of 2B have girls soccer, so we were going to have to ask a lot of different schools if they’ll play us, because we are going to have to seek out non-conference opponents; that’s why we are going to do it in the Fall, so we’re going to have to go out and find some games,” Brothers said.

Spanish teacher Tony Lepe at Kittitas Secondary School will most likely be coaching girls’ soccer next year if the school ends up approving the idea of a soccer team.

“First of all, we should have soccer in our school as some offering, so that the students who do not participate in other sports will have an opportunity to have an activity in which they can develop their skills,” Lepe said.

When Lepe was a student, he used to play soccer himself, so he has experience and would bring great coaching to the team.

“I loved playing soccer. I like soccer because it’s another sport, which allows students to prepare physically, mentally and socially,” Lepe said.

It would not be difficult to form a field for soccer and recruit players from the school.

“The school has extra property that they could build a nice soccer field on and there are enough kids to make a team at Kittitas Secondary that would play soccer,” junior Jordan Alberg said.

Although many students support the idea of a soccer team at Kittitas Secondary School, some think that soccer will not be as popular as other sports already in the sports program.

“The players on the team might feel bad about the fact that not as many people show up for their games as other sports like volleyball, football, basketball, etc. It’s not that popular here,”  freshman Amy Hink said.

Some people believe that funding a different sport or club would be more worthwhile for  the school.

“Although there are a lot of students who enjoy soccer, personally, I think that our funds would be better off going towards other activities in school,” senior Ariana Armstrong said.

Currently, soccer is one of the most popular sports in the world. Every sport benefits the athletes who participate in it, such as improving the physical condition and well-being of a person, including soccer.

Soccer is a team game in which the result depends on coordinated actions of all players. Movement coordination of athletes and their focused attention are also improved by soccer because players need to quickly navigate the field. Delivering an accurate and powerful shot can be difficult, so soccer definitely requires working hard and practicing a lot.

“I like the fact that it’s very athletic and you do a lots of running. It’s a team sport, so you have to pass, communicate, all those things. I think it will fit very well at Kittitas High School,” Brothers said.