Is Too Much Homework Bad for Students?

+Students+work+on+high-level+homework+each+day%2C+being+loaded+with+stress+and+deprived+of+sleep.+%E2%80%9CThey+put+in+a+full+day+sitting+in+hours+of+classes+%28sometimes+four+to+seven+different+classes+daily%29%2C+only+to+get+more+work+dumped+on+them+to+do+at+home%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Raychelle+Cassada+Lohmann%2C+a+professional+counselor+and+author+of+numerous+books.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Too Much Homework Bad for Students?

Students work on high-level homework each day, being loaded with stress and deprived of sleep. “They put in a full day sitting in hours of classes (sometimes four to seven different classes daily), only to get more work dumped on them to do at home,” said Raychelle Cassada Lohmann, a professional counselor and author of numerous books.

Konner Ivarson, Staff Reporter

Most students you talk to will say they hate or have hated homework: it’s boring, time consuming, and adds extra stress that students don’t need in their lives.

Numerous students are assigned to do homework for hours on end, from the time they get home to whenever they get it done, which may be super late.

Too much homework is harmful for young students and may affect them negatively in the long run. Having a massive amount of homework is a very stressful thing to take care of, especially if the due date is approaching quickly and a student is  struggling the whole time they attempt to do it.

¨It makes me feel like I can’t do anything at all, like a mid-life crisis,” said  Gretchen Hinchcliff, part-time Running Start student at CWU and a junior at KHS. “And it often stops me from doing work until last minute, so overall it makes me feel really bad about myself.”

Also, students who participate in sports will be the students to stress the most when it comes to homework because they are physically and mentally exhausted after practice, and because they have little to no time to do it.

“I feel really drained when I get home from practice,” junior and football player Joseph Girard III said. “And then I have to do my chores and stuff, and homework on top of that. I don’t really try on my homework because I’m so tired.”

Homework stress is the worst thing to experience, especially when a student is trying to jump through all the hoops and meet all the expectations school throws at them.

The time students use to do mass amounts of homework could be used to sleep so they can have a productive day of learning the next day.

As stated by the Centers for Disease Control, “Consistent with prior reports, our study shows that the percentage of students obtaining an insufficient amount of sleep increased as students progressed from grades 9 to 12.”

This decrease in sleep will begin to lessen the productivity of the student when they actually have to work. Also, if they actually choose to sleep, they will have an even bigger pile of homework to deal with after.

“About 5% of high school seniors are getting an adequate amount of sleep,” says Craig Canapari, the director at the Yale Pediatric Sleep Center.

Many students in their first period classes can be seen almost half asleep on their desks and are not very enthusiastic when it comes to starting a long day of school. Not getting enough sleep is an epidemic among teens that starts in middle school and progressively gets worse throughout the years of their high school career.

“When I get home, I’m pretty tired and nearly fall asleep if I lie down,” junior Brett Williams said.

Kids and teenagers could use the many hours homework takes to complete to have fun with their friends and family and make memories, so their young years aren’t just a boring memory in the back of their heads.

“I could have been trying to find a job,” senior James Cope said.

With the stress of homework, some students cannot find a job because there is no time to fit work in, further hindering a student’s progress to financial success for college and to buy other necessities that school requires.

“I could be working at a job that can get me work experience and help in a more convenient way that gives more to my future,” junior Jack Weekes said.

Teenagers are always on the search for fun and do not  want to have to worry about failing because they are being forced to do assignments in their own time.

However, many teachers think homework is a key aspect to helping a high school student become more responsible, understand the topic better, and to do work that was not able to be done in class.

“I try not to give a ton of homework, but honestly, there isn’t enough time in a period to do all of the things we need to do sometimes,” English teacher Calah Kulm said. “Therefore, the kids need to do a bit of work at home. It’s necessary and absolutely not the end of the world.”

Many teachers do the best they can to make sure students are proficient on the subject so they can succeed in high school and beyond.

“I give homework for students to keep their math skills sharp,” said math teacher Nate Phillips. “Homework is an opportunity for practice and a way for students to self assess their problem solving skills.”