Does KSS Give Out Too Many A’s

Many+students+at+Kittitas+Secondary+School+do+poorly+on+their+assignments%2C+or+even+do+not+do+them+at+all+and+still+receive+good+grades.+%E2%80%9CThis+assignment+is+in+the+gradebook+as+an+A%2C+but+I+never+actually+did+it%2C%E2%80%9D+Kittitas+Secondary+School+junior+Haley+Brown+said+about+her+A+that+was+given+to+her+with+no+work+put+into+it.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Does KSS Give Out Too Many A’s

Many students at Kittitas Secondary School do poorly on their assignments, or even do not do them at all and still receive good grades. “This assignment is in the gradebook as an A, but I never actually did it,” Kittitas Secondary School junior Haley Brown said about her A that was given to her with no work put into it.

MacKenna Lawrence, Opinion Editor

High school can be a pain for students, and keeping grades up can become a never-ending battle in some classes. Although this is the case most of the time, other times there are no problems with getting a good grade out of a class. Getting an “A” in a class ideally shows that one has mastered the subject, responsible enough to stay on task, and turn in work on time. Grades as high as those are well-deserved by students who work hard to receive the good grades.

That being said, Kittitas Secondary School is giving out too many “A’s” to students. One problem with this is that students will not have the proper knowledge they need to be successful after high school.

According to USA Today, “More high school teachers are handing out A’s, but the bad news is that students aren’t necessarily learning more.”

When students have high grades, they are seen as exceeding the expectations in that category of schoolwork. If there comes a test, they may not have the necessary intelligence to complete it because their good grade was not earned, but given.

“I do feel that some classes are easier than others and students choose those classes because they are an easy A,” agriculture science teacher Rebecca Carollo said. “An educator’s job is to make sure the student is not only going to be successful now, but in the long run as well. If teachers are handing out A’s like candy, the students are not going to be beneficial in the long run.”

In different schools across the world, good grades are difficult to earn and getting an A shows that hard work and dedication was put into a specific subject.

“There is not a lot of homework and tests. Maybe it’s usual here. Maybe it’s just because in the place where I came from it’s harder to get a good grade,” junior Ukrainian foreign exchange student Kateryna Kuzmenko said.

The concern people have is that students want to take an easier class to be able to get an A. Too many teachers are handing out A’s to students who don’t deserve it, and kids should have to work hard enough in a classroom to feel good about getting the grade that they deserve.

“There are some classes I decide to take so I do not necessarily have to do the work, but I get that A,” said Beau Bryant, a student at KSS.

Students should have to work for their grades, and should not be given undeserved grades. Giving students these unearned grades will not help them be successful in the future and will teach the student that a grade can be given with minimal effort put in. But, when students move on from high school into college, things will be much different for them and the outcomes will be surprising to them.

“The highschool definitely did not prepare me to work as hard as I am needing to now that I am in running start,” said Khloe Carpenter, a full time running start student at CWU.