The Coyote Copy

Seattle’s New NHL Team

The Key Arena’s exterior will remain untouched from when it was originally built to house the Supersonics. The Key Arena renovations added an extra 50,000 square feet, for a private club, with the space needle as a view.

Joey Girard III, Copy Editor

Hockey lovers will be delighted to hear that the National Hockey League is opening a franchise in Seattle. The team was announced on Dec. 4 and their inaugural season will take place in 2021-2022.

As for where the team’s home stadium will be, well, it’s already built…kind of. The Key Arena, the same stadium the Seattle Supersonics played in before they moved to Oklahoma City, is currently being renovated to accommodate this new development of Seattle athletics

The team name is currently undecided, but it is a greatly debated topic. There were 38 names sent in by fans and staff of the team, but only 13 of those 38 names are being seriously considered: the Cougars, the Eagles, the Emeralds, the Evergreens, the Firebirds, the Krakens, the Rainers, the Renegades, the Sea Lions, the Seals, the Sockeyes, the Totems, and the Whales.

The NHL will be giving the Seattle team the same privilege the Las Vegas Golden Knights got during their inaugural season, which is to receive an extension to their draft to add more players to their roster. There was much debate after the Las Vegas Golden Knights almost won the Stanley Cup in their first season. Many thought that the draft had much to do with their successful season. However, it was decided that the draft would have no effect on how well the Seattle team will do.

Making a new team also calls for new problems. The Seattle team will be in the Pacific division, but with there already being eight teams, the Arizona Coyotes will have to move to the Central Division. The Las Vegas Golden Knights caused this unbalance because they are also a part of the Pacific Division.

With both of these new franchises, the NHL now has 32 teams, the same amount of teams as the NFL. This raises the question: Will the NHL become as popular as the NFL? There are  approximately 21,627,000 NHL tickets sold each year. While there are only an approximated 17,007,172 NFL tickets sold annually, the attendance each game is much higher. There are only 17,126 estimated in attendance for each NHL game, and the attendance for each NFL games is over 65,000 per game.

“I think it is pretty awesome that Seattle is getting a pro hockey team. Hockey has been one of my favorite sports to watch,” math Carl Bissonette teacher said. “I remember as a young kid getting to watch the Seattle Thunderbirds. It was really cool being able to watch them in the Key Arena. When they moved to the new arena it was like a piece of Seattle was missing. I think it is cool that not only are they getting a team back it is going to be a pro team. I hope I will be lucky enough to get to see Seattle’s pro team play sometime.”

About the Writer
Joey Girard III, Copy Editor

Joseph Girard III, a junior at Kittitas Secondary School, has been to many places before claiming Kittitas as his home. Girard is an active participant...