The Coyote Copy

Winter Sports Coaching Changes for KHS

+Coach+Woodman+coaches+during+the+varsity+girls%E2%80%99+game+against+Brewster+on+Jan.+19.+%E2%80%9CWhen+you+get+a+new+coach%2C%E2%80%9D+athletic+director+Austin+Brothers+said%2C+%E2%80%9Cthey+bring+a+lot+of+new+enthusiasm+to+the+sport.%E2%80%9D
Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Sports Coaching Changes for KHS

Coach Woodman coaches during the varsity girls’ game against Brewster on Jan. 19. “When you get a new coach,” athletic director Austin Brothers said, “they bring a lot of new enthusiasm to the sport.”

Autumn Miller, Sports Editor

The Kittitas Secondary School coaching staff for wrestling and girls’ JV basketball has changed hands for the 2018-19 season.

Middle school science teacher Buddy Woodman has switched to being a girls’ JV basketball coach, after being a boys’ C-team coach last year.

“I was ready for a new challenge, and I wanted the opportunity to coach alongside coach Mohn,” Woodman said.

This is Woodman’s first year coaching girls basketball, and so far he is liking the change.

“The girls are really good at encouraging each other vocally,” Woodman said, “and the style of play is different, but there is not a lot different.”

The girls on the team are also happy with the change.

“He is an amazing and helpful coach, and is always positive and helping us get better at basketball,” freshman Kinzie Federwisch said.

The new coaches brought into Kittitas Secondary School this year for high school wrestling are Conner Treat as head coach and Brendan Spahr as assistant coach.

“They have helped help our team a lot over all with conditioning,” senior wrestler Colby Forbes said.

Treat was a two-time state champion for wrestling when he was in high school, and Spar wrestled for a 4A school in high school.

“Finding new coaches is a mixed process [between current coaches and the athletic department],” athletic director Austin Brothers said. “Our head coaches usually find coaches due to their connections.”

Keke Merin, last year’s high school wrestling coach, got a new full-time job at a different school district, and it would have been too far for him to travel back to Kittitas to coach.

“We are very very lucky because of our positive reputation and our quality facilities. Coaches usually actually seek us out,” Brothers said.

About the Writer
Autumn Miller, Sports Editor

Autumn Miller is a Junior at Kittitas Secondary School and has been attending there since third grade. She plays basketball and softball at Kittitas as...