Are the Dress Code Rules at KSS too Strict or Not Strict Enough?

Opinions are mixed regarding the clothing students wear at Kittitas, from ripped jeans to short tight skirts. Is it a distraction from learning or simply a mode of expression?

Timothy Tostenson, Staff Writer

Certain school districts force their students to wear a specific uniform, or give students a list of colors they can and cannot wear. Kittitas Secondary School students, however, have the traditional rules. For example, boys and girls are not allowed to wear any type of clothing that shows an abundant amount of skin.

“I don’t really have an issue with our school dress code policy because I have never had an incident with any of my outfits,” senior Colby Forbes said. “I’m a hick. We don’t wear anything but pants and sometimes shorts with boots.”

It seems like the only time the school has any issues with students not meeting the dress code standards are in the spring and summer months of school. Whether it’s open-toed shoes and low-cut dresses that distract from people’s learning, or profanity and advertisement of alcoholic beverages on a person’s article of clothing, Kittitas students will be asked to change their clothing.

“I feel like it’s kind of dumb. The way people dress is how they express themselves,” senior Kodee Main said. “If people aren’t mature enough, and get distracted and can’t learn that’s their fault. If I’m showing my shoulder it shouldn’t affect my learning by getting me sent to the office or sometimes even home.”

When a student  walks into the classroom wearing the clothes that they slept in, what kind of message does that send to the teacher? They instantly get the idea that the student is  not there ready to learn, but just show up to school because their parents force them to. It also gives them the impression that the student does not care about what is being taught. When someone  wears an article of clothing that supports inappropriate content or beer slogans, the younger kids see that and look up to the students, which may send a bad message.

That is a tough issue. I guess the big question that should be asked is why are they wearing pajamas to school?” math teacher Carl Bissonette said. “Is it because they are so poor that it is the only clean option they have that day? Or is it a piece of self expression? Is what the student wearing distracting to other students, and preventing them from learning? That all being said, though, I believe it is way more important to judge a student by who they are as a person.”