The Coyote Copy

Coming Soon: Spring Sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

Coming Soon: Spring Sports

Sophomore track athletes, Samantha Graham and Amelia Mohn, wait for their next event during a track meet last year. “I'm excited for the new coaches that are coming in, and what the season brings to everyone and all the new freshmen that are coming in, and to see how far I’m going to go,” Graham said.

Autumn Miller, Sports Editor

As winter sports come to an end, many athletes are looking in anticipation towards the upcoming spring season.

“I’m excited to come into the season healthy, and be able to compete at my best,”  Jessica Lamb, senior softball player at Kittitas High School, said.

The KHS softball team has competed in the state tournament for 12 years in a row, and were league champions last year. They hope to return this year and continue to grow as a team.

“I’m excited to have a large group of kids back again and some younger kids coming in, and continuing to build on what we’ve been doing here for an extended period of time,” math teacher at KHS and head softball coach, Nate Phillips, said.

The track team at KHS sent 21 kids to state last year, and of those 21, 12 placed. Many of the track athletes hope to return to state this year, and are excited to have Calah Kulm, English teacher at KHS, as their new head coach this year.

“I’m really excited about keeping past traditions alive by tweaking how we do things slightly,” Kulm said. “I think it’s great how many kids are coming out for track, and we’ll just keep getting better.”

The baseball team at KHS lost the first round in state last year, and hope to return this year and improve on their performance.

“The goal is always to win the state championship,” assistant baseball coach, Ryan Hastings said. “I’m most excited to be outside, hanging with the guys. Baseball is what I’m passionate about, so anytime I get to mix my passion with helping students lean and players play, it’s more of a chess game than anything, and so encouraging guys to think one step ahead is really fun.”

About the Writer
Autumn Miller, Sports Editor

Autumn Miller is a Junior at Kittitas Secondary School and has been attending there since third grade. She plays basketball and softball at Kittitas as...