The Coyote Copy

Heavy Lifting

Back to Article
Back to Article

Heavy Lifting

Jack Weekes, the 140lb junior that attends Kittitas High School, lifts the 45lb curl bar for 20 reps in the weight room. Doing higher reps and a low amount of weight causes sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, a type of muscle growth that causes an increase in muscle size but not in muscular strength strength.

Konner Ivarson, Staff Writter

Many weightlifters love to compare and compete with each other to get stronger. However, competitive weightlifting is not an option at Kittitas Secondary School.

16-year-old Kittitas Secondary School student Tyler Larsen believes that Kittitas contains the potential to crash the competition and possibly become one of the strongest schools.

“I’ve been going to Kittitas for five, almost six years,” Larsen said. “I wanted to start a weightlifting club because I think we as a school would do well.”

Despite his lack of a participation in other sports, Larsen loves lifting weights to build muscle and stay fit.

“Weightlifting, along with working daily, helps keep me fit; just staying active in general helps,” Larsen said. “I don’t really find an interest in any of the sports Kittitas has to offer.”

Weightlifting can become a very competitive sport, especially when it determines someone’s strength, but competition against others is not a top priority for Larsen.

“Competition tends to be the least of my worries, but it is also my biggest motivator,” Larsen said. “I usually like to compete against myself.”

Some people may feel as if they are not strong enough to join clubs like this, but Tyler´s new club welcomes all, regardless of shape, size or strength.

“I think that anyone that wants to join should be able to. It doesn’t matter who it is,¨ Larsen said. “I believe Kittitas will do the best it can.”

The club, having just started making progress, is still in the early stages of development, not even having a set meeting date yet, and will take time, effort and dedication to get to the finish line.

“I’m in the beginning stages of starting it,” Larsen said. ”I have to finish a few more papers and have it approved by the school board.”

Sometimes, people who lift or work out look to gain positive mental outcomes instead of physical outcomes. Sometimes, they get both.

“I believe a higher sense of confidence along with muscle endurance would be two of the things people could get from competitive weightlifting,” Larsen said.

Larsen’s weightlifting club provides support for anyone who wants to join, and will provide any assistance possible for people to succeed.

“Don’t get too self-assured, be determined and try your best,” Larsen said. “Also just imagine the weight is less than it is.”