The Coyote Copy

Earth Day: How To Make Earth A Cleaner Place

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lizzy Hunter, Staff Writer

If we don’t clean our planet, humans will eventually not be able to drink clean water, people will breathe bad air, and the food will be contaminated. People will live shorter lives because they will get very sick from a messy, dirty world. If only there were a day to work on these issues…

Every year on Apr. 22, people spend time cleaning the Earth. More than 193 countries in the world celebrate Earth Day, and the first time it was celebrated was in 1970. Earth Day is world wide, celebrated by many people. Earth Day brings attention to many people and shows the issues on our planet like pollution of the ocean, debris left over on land, soil corruption, and many more problems. Earth Day is to help our Earth stay in good shape.

“I think Earth Day is important because it is one day of the year for people to focus on the environment,” senior Breanna Hunter said. “And it helps create awareness for environment issues.”

More than 2 million people fall ill and die every year due to indoor and outdoor pollution. People drive down the road and throw trash out the window, like pop cans, cigarettes, plastic bags.To save the Earth, people need to start recycling, throwing garbage in trash cans, and doing anything else they can do to help the environment.  

“Earth is pretty messy; it is not taken care of very well,” freshman Christopher Benavides said. “We need to start picking up after ourselves, find better ways to get rid of trash instead of just putting it in landfills and throwing it out windows.”

Every minute, trash enters the ocean. By 2050, the amount of trash in the ocean will outweigh the population of fish.Ten percent of plastic goes into the ocean, and that is out of 260 tons of plastic in the world, according to Ellen MacArthur. That is equivalent to 52,000 pounds of plastic in the ocean.

“I think it is really awful,” freshman Emily Driver said. “It harms all the sea life and it is ruining the ecosystem.”

The National Academy of Sciences has estimated that over 14 billion pounds of trash has been dumped into the ocean at least every year. Most of the trash that is in the ocean is plastic, and only 1 or 2 percent of human trash is recycled.

“We need to recycle more existing plastic to be reusable,” sophomore Dylan Larimer said. “We also need to enforce the litter laws more.”

What can Kittitas do locally to help clean up the earth? Get out of the car. Walk around town and pick up trash. In addition, one can purchase trees inexpensively and plant them in areas that lack  vegetation. It can even be as simple as throwing away a can or paper plate into a recycling receptacle instead of the garbage.

There are things every person can do to help. The question is: what will you do to save the earth you love?