How to Prevent and Treat Most Common Athletic Injuries

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Kyra Rupp and sophomore Kinzie Federwisch laugh at the coldness of the ice bath they are taking to cure their shin splints, while freshman Lizzy Hunter recovers from hers during track practice. “I almost started crying because it was cold, then I almost fell in because I couldn’t feel my legs,” Rupp said.

Haley Kulm, Editor in Cheif

Almost every athlete has suffered from an injury caused by a sport they play, whether it be a major injury, such as a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL), or a minor injury, like a twisted ankle. Although it may not seem like it sometimes, most of these injuries can be avoided.

One of the most common injuries among student athletes are concussions. In fact, according to a study conducted by the Brain Injury Research Institute (BIRI), it is estimated that 1.6-3.8 million concussions occur each year due to sports. To avoid this injury, athletes can wear protective headgear, such as helmets or masks, or being more aware of their surroundings.

“Once, I got a concussion because I did not catch a softball,” junior Laura Garcia said. “This can be prevented by paying attention and actually catching the ball.”

Another injury that is very common amongst student athletes is shin splints, which is pain in the shin, and is usually caused by a lot of running in a sport. There are many ways to avoid this injury, such as stretching before workouts, wearing leg braces, etc.

“You could ice your legs, tape, and make sure you stretch out good to avoid the injury,” junior Jessica Ketzenberg said.

While all these injuries are very common, almost every athlete has twisted or sprained their ankle some way or another.

“To prevent it, you have to do the right techniques at the right time and listen to what people are telling you, and where you place your feet,” junior Kaelynn Bishop said. “If you do hurt your ankle, ice it.”

Although these injuries do not typically affect athletes in large ways or for long amounts of time, there are also common injuries that take longer to recover from, and that take a toll on victims for longer time periods, or maybe even the rest of their lives, such as tendonitis.

“I got tendonitis by throwing a lot and not properly not warming up before properly throwing down to second in softball,” junior Autumn Miller said. “I treat it by resting and icing it, and I go into the chiropractor to get laser treatments on it.”

Although these injuries come unexpected and are often very difficult to prevent, participating in sports that students love is worth all of the pain and risks that come with them.

“Everything is a risk, but if you’re playing sports and being on a team, the injuries are worth it in the long run,” senior Nyah Escobar said.