Post Season for Spring Sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

Post Season for Spring Sports

The Kittitas High School track team poses for a picture before their state meet on May 23. “I felt kind of relieved [to place] because I was ranked high and didn’t want to leave state unplaced,” Provaznik, a sophomore at KHS who placed 6th in javelin, said.

Autumn Miller, Sports Editor

Athletes from Kittitas High School worked hard this spring sports season to make it to postseason in softball, golf, and track.

The KHS softball team ended their league season taking home the league champion title for the 2nd year in a row. They went on to also win districts for the first time in 5 years. The team fought hard at state, winning both of their games on Friday, advancing them to the semifinals for the first time in KHS history. The team lost both games on Saturday, but were still pleased with their season and placed in the top teams in the state.

“I am really proud that we accomplished all of the goals we set at the beginning of this season, and we had really good team chemistry,” Payton Hyatt, senior and starting catcher, said.

The KHS golf team sent Kelby Svendsen to state. This year was the second time Kittitas has had a golf team and sent someone to state, and the first time they have sent a female golfer. The team would like to grow in numbers to be able to compete in different golf tournaments.

“We would like to grow the team so we can compete as a team and not just as individuals,” Joe Mohn, head golf coach and History teacher at KHS, said. “I think there will be a lot more interest next year.”

KHS track sent 15 people to state this year, and Jillian Provoznik placed 6th in javelin. The team had a new coaching staff to work with this year, and graduated 16 seniors last year. The young team hopes to continue to push themselves to continue on their success from this year.

“We have a very young team which consisted mainly of freshman and sophomores, so as long as they continue to work hard and push themselves, there’s no way that they won’t improve because they’re already amazing,” head track coach and English teacher at KHS, Calah Kulm, said.