Permanent Daylight Saving Time

+When+daylight+saving+time+comes+into+effect%2C+the+time+leaps+forward+an+hour+at+2+a.m.+Adding+an+extra+hour+was+meant+to+help+people+take+advantage+of+the+daylight+hours+and+help+save+energy.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Permanent Daylight Saving Time

When daylight saving time comes into effect, the time leaps forward an hour at 2 a.m. Adding an extra hour was meant to help people take advantage of the daylight hours and help save energy.

Konner Ivarson, Staff Writer

Since the 1900s, daylight saving time has been used to help people all around the world take advantage of daylight in the summer months starting on the second Saturday in March. In more simple terms, it moves an hour of daylight from the beginning of the day to the end of the day. Those who enjoy watching the sunrise on winter mornings must now must enjoy dark winter mornings and another hour of sun on summer days.

Recently, a bill has passed the state House of Representatives in Washington state that puts us in daylight saving time permanently.

Students who already have already altered their sleep schedule to fit the demands of school will become even more sleep deprived at the start of daylight saving time in spring, and will again have to adjust when daylight saving time ends.

“Daylight saving time makes me tired with how the time on the clock doesnt actually change, but the light within the day does, so at night its darker for longer, especially during winter,” junior Jack Weekes said.

The switch from standard time to daylight saving time will cause everyone to lose a whole hour of sleep, forcing people to adjust their sleep schedule, which may propose health risks to many people.

“They may include feeling sleepy, listless, stressed, and tired for a while. Daylight saving time-associated changes result in higher rates of automobile and workplace accidents,” director of the Rutgers Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute Helmut Zarbl said. “A few studies have even suggested a slight increase in heart attacks and stroke, probably in those already at a higher risk.”

When winter time comes around and an hour is regained, students and adults will have to once again adjust their sleep schedule.

“I really don’t like daylight savings,” history teacher Joe Mohn said. “I always like having more daylight in the evening, so I wish they would keep it that way all year.”

Also, some studies show that there is a spike in cases of depression during the switch back from daylight saving to standard time.

“Depression cases at psychiatric hospitals in Denmark increased immediately after the transition from daylight saving time,” the study says. “An analysis of 185,419 severe depression diagnoses from 1995 to 2012 showed an 11% increase during this time period. The cases dissipated gradually after 10 weeks,” space and science writer for CNN Ashley Strickland said.

Instead of switching back and forth from daylight saving time in the summer and standard time in the winter, staying on daylight saving time would eliminate the occurrence of these problems and make things simple.

“Having to skip forward or backward an hour is stupid and unnecessary, and it makes the sun wack,” junior and Running Start student Kendan Smith said.