Pedro Ferrer: Student Employee

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pedro Ferrer: Student Employee

Photo: Pedro Ferrer lays out rocks evenly with his shovel on a sunny Saturday, June 8th in Cle Elum at the Suncadia Resort.“ Working on Saturday’s can be tough sometimes but you got to do what you got to do to get that money,” Ferrer said.

Luis Lopez, Staff Writer

Students throughout Kittitas Secondary School go to school many hours a day, but then go right to an after-school job to make some extra money for themselves.

One student at Kittitas who works a part-time job and goes to school is Pedro Ferrer. Ferrer works as a laborer for Central Nursery and does things such as plant trees, plants, and landscaping work in Ellensburg. Ferrer has been working and going to school for a year and a half. Ferrer attends school part-time at Kittitas Secondary School and part-time as a Running Start student at Central Washington University.

“Going to school and having a job at the same time can be a bit much sometimes because sometimes I have more work than I have time,” Ferrer said.

For a full-time student with a part-time job, it gets stressful at times by trying to manage school work, a job, and other daily errands.

“It can be stressful because you have to get stuff done for school, but also have to get your job done first, and that can be stressful at times,” Ferrer said.

Organization and time management are key to being able to to deal with everything throughout the day. Having a job and going to school can take up lots of time and can cut back on other activities students would like to do.

“I just prioritize what needs to be done first and what’s most important. There has been a lot of late and sleepless nights to stay up-to-date and keep my grades up,” Ferrer said.

Although being a full-time student and working a part-time job can be very stressful and take up a lot of time, it can bring a positive outlook on life and help out in the long run.

“Some advantages are: you become a hard worker and you get that money so you can buy clothes, food, and so on,” Ferrer said. “It also makes me so much for grateful for the days that I don’t have anything and makes my free time a lot more better.”