Music in May

Freshman+Griffin+Hinchliff%2C+junior+Kendan+Smith%2C+and+freshman+Ted+Schuetz+%28missing+in+photo%29%2C+are+all+smiles+as+they+recollect+the+amazing+time+they+had+at+Music+in+May.+%E2%80%9CMusic+in+May+was+a+blast+and+I%E2%80%99ll+do+it+again%2C%E2%80%9D+Hinchliff+said.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Music in May

Freshman Griffin Hinchliff, junior Kendan Smith, and freshman Ted Schuetz (missing in photo), are all smiles as they recollect the amazing time they had at Music in May. “Music in May was a blast and I’ll do it again,” Hinchliff said.

Joey Girard III, Staff Writer

Music in May is a music festival in which a plethora of student musicians gather from the northwestern states of Washington, Idaho, and Oregon to play a variety of instrumental and vocal musical compositions.

Kittitas Secondary School junior and Central Washington University Running Start student Kendan Smith has been playing percussion for roughly four years, and was one of three KSS band students to attend Music in May this year. The 71st annual Music in May was hosted at Pacific University in Oregon. The other students, freshmen Ted Schuetz and Griffin Hinchliff, are both section leaders of the instruments they play. Schuetz is the lead flute player, and Hinchliff is the lead trombone player.

“It was really fun. I had a good time and made a lot of friends,” Hinchliff said.

The three of them embarked on their journey to Pacific University from May 23-25, and then joined up with 100 other band students to play Pathfinder of Panama by John Philip Sousa, Lord Tullamore, and First Suite in Eb by Gustav Holst. They rehearsed six times after practicing on their own with meals in between. Each rehearsal was about two and a half hours long. They played for a crowd of about 400, and there was a total of over 900 attendees, as the choir and orchestra have over 380 of their own musicians.

“My favorite part was our conductor. I don’t remember his name, but he was from Alabama,” Schuetz said.

Music in May was founded in 1948 at Pacific University by Richard A. Greenfield to encourage the development of string music in the public schools of the Pacific Northwest. Band and choir were added at the suggestion of high school music directors, who saw in the festival a means of recognizing students whose service to their particular schools was especially noteworthy.

“My favorite part,” Smith said,”was when our conductor had me make something up for one of our songs and play it in front of the band for the concert.”