Juul Pulling Products and Advertising

Juul is an electronic cigarette company who claim their products can help a person stop smoking and are healthy. On Oct. 20, 2019 Juul pulled all advertising and their flavored vape juices off the market.

Logan Svendsen, Staff Writer

“I think it’s a good thing that they are pulling advertising and vapes off the market,”  senior MacKenna Lawrence said. “There’s too many highschoolers who are underage getting hooked and hurt from it.”

Juul now has multiple lawsuits against them for illegal marketing to teens as well as false advertising. Juul claims that their product is a safer alternative to smoking cigarettes, but no research has proven that it is. Underage teens who visited their website were automatically added to their subscription list where Juul sent them emails about promotions that they had. These emails were sent even when the teens were denied access to the website after entering their age.

“Having Juuls off the market will make our school better,”  Dean Of Students Austin Brothers said. “They took over our high school and now we’re just moving forward.” 

Juul’s CEO, Kevin Burns, stepped down on Sept. 25, 2019 because of the pressure from the U.S. government and social media platforms. Burns was replaced by K.C. Crosthwaite, a former ambassador at Altria, which is a company that partaily owns Juul. 

“I don’t blame him for stepping down,” senior Mckenna Iverson said. “ I would have too if I was put in that position.”

One Juul pod contains 20 cigarettes worth of nicotine. The fruity and sweet flavors are what are appealing to teens. According to Truth Initiative website, one fifth of middle school students have tried Juul and 42% of highschoolers are using Juuls on a regular basis. 

“I think the amount of nicotine in Juul pods is very unhealthy for teens,” sophomore Ben Bryant said. “I’m glad that Juul has pulled most of their products off the market.”