Winter Sports Preview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Sports Preview

Junior Amelia Mohn dribbles down the court during last year’s matchup against Tri Cities Prep. Kittitas girl’s basketball missed their opportunity to go to the state tournament last year, but are looking to turn that around.

Dawson Gilson, Staff Writer

With fall sports wrapping up the season, many people are starting to think ahead to winter sports. Kittitas Secondary School girls’ basketball, boys’ basketball, and wrestling may have successful seasons in store for them, and the athletes and coaches are very eager to get started. 

With girls’ basketball starting on Nov. 18, history teacher and coach Joe Mohn is excited to get this year’s season started.

“Come watch Coyote basketball this season. It will be an exciting season,” Mohn said.

While Mohn is working hard to get ready for the season, it is not his first year coaching, and he continues to set new goals each year he coaches. 

“I have been coaching for over 20 years,” Mohn said. “My goals for this season are to see continued growth of fundamental basketball and continuity of systems of play in the program. Ultimately, my goal is always to win.”

While Mohn is optimistic about the upcoming season, he is also preparing for the more difficult parts.

“The part of coaching can often be persevering through times when things aren’t going the way you hoped or expected, and finding solutions,” Mohn said. 

Junior Kelby Tostenson is looking forward to what this team could do this season.

“I am excited for this season because I think we have a good group of girls willing to work together and be competitive in our league,”  Tostenson said.

The boys’ basketball season also starts on Nov. 18, and coach Chet Weekes is excited to start his first season as head coach for Kittitas Boys Basketball.

“The hardest part about coaching is getting a group of young men to believe they can compete, earning a trip back to Spokane,” Weekes said.

While this is Weekes’ first year as a head coach for the Kittitas High School boys’ basketball team, he has plenty of experience under his belt.

“I have been coaching different age groups since 2001,” Weekes said.