New Superintendent on the Rise

+Mike+Nollan%E2%80%99s+first+year+as+the+district+superintendent+keeps+him+busy.+Nollan+visited+Ms.+Kulm%E2%80%99s+ASB%2Fleadership+advisory+Oct.+23+to+get+a+feel+for+student+opinions.+%E2%80%9CTeachers+find+more+than+one+way+to+teach+a+student%2C+so+if+someone+is+struggling+and+they%E2%80%99re+more+of+a+visual+learner%2C+then+the+teacher+will+go+out+of+their+way+and+help+them+through+that%2C%E2%80%9D+sophomore+Lexxus+Neirman+said.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

New Superintendent on the Rise

Mike Nollan’s first year as the district superintendent keeps him busy. Nollan visited Ms. Kulm’s ASB/leadership advisory Oct. 23 to get a feel for student opinions. “Teachers find more than one way to teach a student, so if someone is struggling and they’re more of a visual learner, then the teacher will go out of their way and help them through that,” sophomore Lexxus Neirman said.

Natallie Edgar, Feature/Editorial Editor

The new superintendent, Mike Nollan, is working on bringing new ideas to the Kittitas School District. Nollan plans to be more involved with the students, teachers, and staff members.

Nollan has been the superintendent at Kittitas School District for about four months. Before that, Nollan worked in the Ellensburg School District for nearly 11 years. He had gone through quite a lot of schooling to get to where he’s at now.

“Well I went to Washington State and I ended up [not graduating], I was there for three and a half years and then I transferred over to Whitworth College in Spokane, so I graduated from there with an elementary education degree and social studies,” Nollan said. “And so then I started teaching and I got my bachelors degree there. Went to Portland State University for my masters degree in education and got my principal certificate at WSU and my superintendent certificate at WSU as well.”

Nollan faces a few challenges as he starts to get used to his new job as the superintendent, but is working through these challenges by working with his staff members, communicating with the community, and talking to the students of the Kittitas School District. Although not everything Nollan wants for the district is going to happen, he works toward his goals everyday.

“When I say challenge, I don’t necessarily mean negative,” Nollan said. “That kind of work can be challenging when you have five different people that may have five different ideas on how to do things.”

Nollan is all about helping the students get their best education and helping teachers get their students to succeed. Nollan is trying to interact more with the community, as well.

“The thing with education is everybody has been to school and so everybody has an opinion about school,” Nollan said, “so working with the community to be supporters of the school and what we’re doing, I think is important.”

Nollan has also been working on his plans to improve Kittitas School District. Nollan is always trying to get to know people better in the school and the community members of Kittitas. By involving himself more with students and gathering information he has a better idea of what needs to change, such as finding new ways for the students to have a better learning environment.

“I think getting to know people helps me to know, ‘Okay, these are the people that…these are the drivers, these are the work horses,’” Nollan said.

Overall, Nollan is working on creating a new, more productive, and interactive environment for everyone involved in the Kittitas School District and the community of Kittitas. Nollan wants the best for KSD and will work as hard as he needs to in order to achieve the type of environment he strives for.

“Challenges and the problem solving is what’s fun,” Nollan said. “I mean, there’s always something to solve.”