Kittitas Cheer Team Heading to Nationals

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Kittitas Cheer team poses for a picture at the home football game on Sept. 18 during pink night. At half time, the crowd cheered for the cheer team while they performed a dance for the crowd.

Austyn Johnson, Staff Writer

Kittitas High School cheerleaders will be heading to Dallas, Texas this February to compete at NCA Nationals. This will be the first time in school history that the cheer team made it to Nationals.

“It feels great to be the first in school history to make it to Nationals,” sophomore cheerleader Alicia Mus said.

This summer, the cheer team attended NCA summer camp in Centralia, Washington. At that camp, the cheer team received a bid from NCA to attend the national cheer competition. Kittitas accepted it right away. 

In order to receive a bid, the team must score extremely well on daily tasks. First, they must receive high marks on the daily cheer routines. Second, on the last day, NCA holds a final evaluation where teams compete in multiple categories. Only the teams who score superior (highest mark) in all areas are considered for Nationals.

“I was in shock because many other schools did not make it and we did,” junior cheerleader Angelica Ramirez said.

At Nationals, the team will be competing in the Game Day category, which is a 3 part routine: game day cheer, band chant and fight song. The Kittitas Cheer team practices Mondays through Fridays from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. When Nationals gets closer, the team will start practicing on Sundays. Kittitas Cheer coach Rebecca Posz-Tamez is excited for her cheerleaders to get the experience and the memories of this upcoming trip.

“It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity for most. I’m also excited to see them bring their best! It’s amazing what the adrenaline and hype in competition can do! We saw that last year when we competed for the first time,” Tamez said.

Freshman Delaney Guddat loves the unique friendships she has gained by participating in cheer. This is Guddat’s first year participating in cheer.