Life360: Is It a Good Investment?

+Freshman+Josh+Rosbach+checks+his+Life+360+app+that+his+whole+family+has.+%E2%80%9C%5BMy+parents+made+me+download+it+because%5D+I+went+to+Yakima+with+my+sister+one+night+to+the+trampoline+park+and+%5Bmy+mom%5D+wanted+to+know+if+we+were+really+going+to+the+trampoline+park%2C%E2%80%9D+Rosbach+said.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Life360: Is It a Good Investment?

Freshman Josh Rosbach checks his Life 360 app that his whole family has. “[My parents made me download it because] I went to Yakima with my sister one night to the trampoline park and [my mom] wanted to know if we were really going to the trampoline park,” Rosbach said.

Haley Kulm, Editor-in-Chief

Early curfew. Limited phone time. Little freedom. These are all restrictions that teenagers with strict parents may have to deal with, but no one truly knows strict until they have Life360 on their phone.

Life360 is a phone application that primarily allows family and friends to see each other’s locations at all times as long as they program their app to the same “circle,” or in the same group to see each other’s locations. It also shows driving reports, such as top drive speed, rapid acceleration, hard braking, and phone use. It has crash detection, so it will notify the people in the circle if another person crashes. 

Parents love the app because it allows them to track every move of their children, but many students feel like it is an invasion of privacy.

“I think the idea behind using it as a safety precaution is good for parents, but parents who are a little controlling with it should reconsider the privacy of their own children,” junior Jillian Provaznik said.

While it is a good method for parents to make sure their children are being safe, it makes a lot of students feel restricted and like their parents do not trust them.

“I think it’s really unnecessary,” sophomore Chesney Pemberton said. “Yes, it’s helpful to parents, but it’s almost too helpful. Teenagers should get to be teenagers and have fun and not have their parent[s] knowing their every move. They should trust their kids enough to do the right thing regardless.”

Teenagers who have it on their phones do not get to be carefree, fun-loving teenagers as much as those who do not have it, due to the fact that their parents are constantly texting them to accuse them and ask unnecessary questions.

“It’s stupid. For troubled kids, it’s probably good, but I think it’s kind of dumb because your parents can get mad at you. They can see your speed and how far you go,” senior Logan Svendsen said.

Due to the fact that Life360 allows parents to track their children’s locations and drives, they are willing to pay $69.99 per year to keep this app and check it quite frequently.

“I purchased it when my eldest daughter started driving because it monitors accidents, speed, phone usage, etc. It allows me to keep an eye on my kids from a distance,” Kittitas Secondary School English teacher Calah Kulm said. “I think it’s a great app because as an involved parent, I can make sure my kids are safe and making the right choices in regards to driving. Also, there is nothing scarier than knowing that my kids are on the road with bad drivers.”

Many students believe they should not be required by their parents to have Life360 on their phone because they have never given their parents a reason not to trust them, but whether or not someone should have it depends on their family and the reasons they have it.