Haunted Halls and Trunk-or-Treat

Back to Article
Back to Article

Haunted Halls and Trunk-or-Treat

Kittitas Secondary School junior Natallie Edgar wins a trophy at Trunk or Treat and was for Officer Chavez’s favorite decorated trunk. “Halloween is my favorite holiday because of sweaters, candy and scary movies and just because it’s spooky season.”

Cassidy Gay, A&E/Social Media Editor

Juniors Bayleigh Boehm and Ami Beard handing out candy to the trick or treaters during haunted halls.

Halloween in Kittitas means fall festivities  including Haunted Halls and Trunk or Treat. These events are put on specifically to create a safe trick-or-treating environment for students.Trunk or Treat is set up by the City of Kittitas, which means that city council members help to set it up. Haunted Halls is put on by the high school ASB. 

Trunk or Treat was on Main Street in Kittitas and was about 2-3 city blocks in length on Oct. 26 from 3-5 p.m. Holly Beard, a councilwomen for the City of Kittitas, was in charge of making  Trunk or Treat happen this year.  

Trunk or Treat originally began because the community was trying to create a safer trick-or-treating environment by having kids trick-or-treat out of decorated cars in parking lots or lined along a street. 

“This [is] the fourth year and [it] was spearheaded by councilwoman Lou Whitford,” Beard said.

Anyone can bring a car and participate in this yearly activity. The signup for this was free and signup sheets were located at Kittitas City Hall on Main Street. 

“…we strongly encourage the community and schools to get involved,” Beard said.

Trunk or Treat this year was combined with the New Life Church Harvest Carnival with games and crafts at the Kittitas Eagles Club. A 200 dollar gift certificate was awarded to K.C Can Company for the best decorated trunk. Many other trophies were awarded for different categories.

“…the K.C. Can company trunk decorated like a little shop of horrors they called it little trunk of horrors,” Beard said.

Haunted Halls is held at Kittitas Secondary School on Halloween evening. Haunted Halls is when Kittitas Secondary School clubs and classes decorate the halls  of Kittitas High School for Halloween, and they give out candy to promote a safe trick-or-treating environment. 

Students from all classes bring in candy for this activity. Clubs like FFA,  FCCLA, FBLA, Honor Society, and Pep Band also participate in this activity by decorating and bringing candy in for the trick or treaters. 

“FFA will be there and decorate our end of the hall and hand out candy to kids,” CTE teacher and FFA Advisor Rebecca Carollo said.

During this time, all students work together to decorate and provide candy for the children of their community.

“I feel this is a great activity for KSS, as it allows students to interact with the community and vice versa. Plus, it provides a safe environment,” Carollo said.