Moving On To Play Baseball At The Next Level

Back to Article
Back to Article

Justin Hudson poses for a picture with his mom, Wendy Hudson and dad, Mitch Hudson after he signs to play baseball for Yakima Valley Community College on Nov. 4. Hudson has played baseball for 12 years and was very excited when he found out that he gets move on to play college ball.

Austyn Johnson, Staff Writer

Kittitas High School senior Justin Hudson will be furthering his baseball career at Yakima Valley Community College next spring. Hudson plays shortstop.

Hudson started playing baseball at the age of 5. He  played T-ball, rookie, minors, and majors for his little league days. Through the ages of 9-12, Hudson played on the Ellensburg All-Star team. Hudson has played on the Kittitas varsity baseball team since his freshman year. The team made State during Hudson’s freshman and sophomore years and hopefully will make it back his senior year.

“He has been a big part of our success we have had in the baseball program leading back to his freshman year,” head coach Eric Sorensen said.

This past summer, Hudson tried out for the Yakima Valley Pepsi Pak and made the team. The Pepsi Pak is an American Legion baseball team that is located in Selah, WA.

“I think playing on the [P]ak benefited me tremendously because the last time I played select baseball was when I was 12 years old,” Hudson said.

This fall, Hudson attended a camp at YVCC that was every Thursday night for six weeks. The camp consisted of fielding and hitting. This camp is where YVCC decided that they wanted Hudson to play on the team, and offered him a scholarship a few weeks later. Hudson committed right away. 

“I’m pretty excited for Justin and the future he has. He has worked hard to get where he is going, and if he keeps it up he will have a future beyond YVCC onto the 4 year level,” Sorensen said.

Hudson enjoys  playing because he enjoys being outside, competing , and demonstrating his skills.

“I’m going to miss my coaches and all my friends that I’ve played with for a long time. I’m going to miss laughs at practices and games with the boys mostly,” Hudson said.

Hudson has made many long-lasting friendships by playing sports.

“Playing baseball with Justin since little league has been an awesome experience. I’ve seen him grow as an individual player and as a teammate,” senior teammate Wyatt Stickney said. “The amount of work he puts in and his passion for the game is astonishing. I’ll forever remember holding down the middle infield throughout middle school and high school with my best friend, and I’m excited to watch him succeed in the near future.”

On top of baseball, Hudson is involved in a lot of other school activities. He is part of ASB, FCCLA, and  plays on the school boys basketball team where he has won 3 state championships. Hudson is looking forward to one more season with his basketball team this year.