Shockers Baseball

Junior+Austyn+Johnson+gets+ready+to+hit+against+Tri-Cities+Prep+at+a+summer+game.+Johnson+played+for+the+Shockers+for+the+last+two+summers.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Shockers Baseball

Junior Austyn Johnson gets ready to hit against Tri-Cities Prep at a summer game. Johnson played for the Shockers for the last two summers.

Ben Bryant, Staff Writer

While the Kittitas High School baseball team is typically successful during the regular season, this period of time is not always enough for some players who love the game.

Kittitas High School’s summer baseball team, the Shockers, uses Kittitas High School as the home field and is composed of students from Kittitas, Cle Elum, and Ellensburg.

The summer baseball team has not always been named the Shockers. The team got its name not too long ago when the team got sponsored, hence the name “shockers”.

“Shockers got started when we were looking for a sponsor for our summer team. Previously we were just called Kittitas Summer Ball. Catlin Electric sponsored us, thats how we got the name,” said coach Eric Sorenson.

The Shockers team was started so more kids could have an opportunity to play baseball and have more play time to gain experience.

“The purpose of the team is to have a summer baseball team that Kittitas kids can play 20-25 games per summer,” Sorenson said. “We include surrounding schools because we don’t always have enough kids for a team. We just want to make sure we can help kids who are wanting to get better and willing to put the time in.”

The Shockers team helps players prepare for the high school baseball season in the spring by giving them an extra season.

“I think having the Kittitas kids playing more in the summer will help us this spring. We played 22 games this last summer and that’s close to how much we play in regular season. So our hope is each kid that played now have an extra year of experience in a way,” Sorenson said.

All of the extra work that the baseball players are willing to put into practice pays off when it comes to playing an actual game.

“Some of the highlights are beating a 2A East Valley team whose players will be next year’s starters,” Sorenson added.

Having friends to play with can be an incentive to play a sport. 

“I played on the Shockers baseball team because I like to play baseball with my friends,” senior Beau Bryant said.

Memories can also be made on and off the baseball field.

“My favorite memory of the season is after we won our game against Elma, Ridge got pulled over for going 97 mph on the freeway,” junior Austyn Johnson said.