Winter Sport Updates

Seniors Beau Bryant, Dawson Byers, and Justin Hudson play against Mabton on Dec. 20, 2019. The final score of this game was 54-37, with Kittitas taking home the win.

Veronica Ramos, Staff Writer

Kittitas Secondary School winter sports athletes are all trying their hardest  to represent the school in order to be able to make it to state competitions. As the season wraps up, these athletes continue to persevere and work hard to accomplish their goals.

Some goals the new head boys basketball coach, Chet Weekes, has set for his team is to work hard and be ready to compete every night.

“I would like to see my team communicate with one another on the court,” Weekes said.

One aspect Weekes would like to see change is for the offense to flow better and for them to find an edge. The players are all trying their best to improve and accomplish their goals.

“I am proud of how hard these guys work everyday,” Weekes said.

Weekes is surprised with how even though multiple players faced injuries at the beginning of the season, they all still remained positive.

“I’m proud of how they never complain, and they just do what I ask of them to the best of their abilities,” Weekes said.

The girls’ basketball coach, Joe Mohn, would like to see the girls work on their fundamentals of the game and improve on implementing the system of play.

“I want to always see growth in players individually and as a team,” Mohn said.

Mohn is so proud of the team’s constant effort defensively, and their improvement each day.

“I love this team. They work hard every day to compete,” Mohn said.

Something that has surprised Mohn this year is that the players are resilient and have grit, and they have made comebacks to win games within the last few minutes, which has surprised him a lot.

“I expect the team to give their best effort,” Mohn said.

The wrestling team has also been doing well this season, with the following records in a win to loss ratio: Jonathon Jones 14 and 11, Tony Rios 26 and 0, Johnny Marin 15 and 9, Hunter Smith  17 and 10, Ridge Essman 10 and 10, Steven Mchaurge 2 and 2, Josiah Skindzier 12 and 12, Pedro Ferrer 7 and 15, Anthony Michael 12 and 13, Thomas sheely 13 and 14, Aaron Farthing 0 and 3, Jack Waters 3 and 12, Olivia Hess 9 and 4, Natalie Edgar 0 and 11, and Marrisa Amarro 1 and 4.

There are more wrestlers this year competing than in previous years, and although no one really knows why, there are a few theories.

“There are probably more wrestlers this year because during track season last year, coach Spahr would wrestle Tony and Kenneth and Paul for fun, which probably made it look fun to more people,” junior Aaron Farthing said.

Usually, the captain of a team is an upperclassman, but this is not the case this year. Sophomore Tony Rios was appointed captain by head coach Conner Treat. At first, Rios was uncertain as to if he was ready to be the captain of the wrestling team, but P.E. coach Frank Wood convinced him to do it, since he knew he was going to be a good team captain.

“I felt like the coach trusted me to lead the team, and no, I don’t regret joining wrestling,” Rios said.

Rios has been wrestling for three years now, and he plans on continuing through the rest of high school.

“It’s not hard; it’s just more responsibility,” Rios said.

Pc: Seniors Beau Bryant, Dawson Byers, and Justin Hudson play against Mabton on 

Dec. 20, 2019 The final score of this game was 54-37, with Kittitas taking home the win.