TikTok Fame

Fabiola Juarez, Staff Writer

TikTok has brought fame to teens and young adults all around the world, being the fastest growing platform of the past year. TikTok is a video sharing social network owned by Bytedance, a company founded in 2012. This app is used to create short lip-sync, comedy and talent videos from 3-60 seconds long.

TikTok has been the most downloaded app in the U.S. since October of 2018. TikTok users can make millions of dollars per year if they have a large amount of followers. Many teenagers and young adults spend about three hours on TikTok throughout their day. Most people start by only watching TikToks, but then started making and posting their own videos. 

“TikTok is a very fun app to be on it, but it is very time consuming and very addicting,” junior Megan Munguia said.

Many students from Kittitas Secondary School make TikToks, and some even have fame. Senior Logan Svendsen is a TikToker with 48.2k followers, junior Kelby Tostenson is a TikToker with 322 followers, junior Ridge Essman is a tiktoker with 120 followers, and sophomore Alicia Mus is on TikTok with 1,038 followers. 

Essman enjoys his time making and watching TikTok videos in his free time. He makes a variety of TikTok videos, but most of them are comedies.

“I liked watching them, then figured, why not make some myself? Now, I’m TikTok famous,” Essman said. 

Junior Kelby Tostenson enjoys making a variety of TikToks and enjoys watching others create their own. Tostenson started TikTok in 2019 when it started to get more fame, and since then, she has really enjoyed being on it.

“I was trying to get more clout than Logan, but it hasn’t worked out,” Tostenson said. 

TikTok has been downloaded from the App store and the Google Play app 1.5 billion times, and has 500 million active users. Many people enjoy just watching TikToks to get a laugh from the comedious TikTokers. People are also very shy, and uploading a TikTok where many people can view it, is outside of some people’s comfort zones.

“I enjoy watching TikToks because they are funny and entertaining. I personally do not make them because it is outside my comfort zone. I would be super shy to either post or make them,” junior Veronica Ramos said.